Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chandler the Mechanic

In what may be the understatement of the year; I was NOT blessed with ANY mechanical ability whatsoever (by the way, this is Chris, NOT Krissy, as if you couldn't tell by my opening sentence). So, when I discovered I needed to have my front brakes replaced, naturally I planned on taking my car into Tunex (a friend of ours owns the one in Washington) to have the work done. I casually mentioned this to Chandler who responded by saying he had replaced brake pads before and he thought he could save me some money by helping me replace mine.

Now, you need to understand that even though it's typical for me to learn things the hard way, I HAVE learned not to try things like this myself. I'm not the type of guy who knows just enough about cars to be dangerous, I fully recognize and have resigned myself to the fact that I don't know more than just the very basics about cars. As such, it's never bothered me very much to take my car to a mechanic because I learned long ago that I don't have an option.

However, Chandler seemed sincere and knowledgeable when he explained the process to me; so wanting to help him gain some experience (and save some money) we made plans to replace the pads on Saturday. The pads, and a few tools I needed ending up costing less than $50, far less than the $119 it would have cost at Tunex.

Anyway, the first side was a challenge until Chandler was able to figure out how to press the piston back in place by using a piece of wood and a C-clamp which enabled us to slip the pads back onto the disk.

The other side was a breeze comparatively and the entire process took only a couple of hours or so. It was amazing to see Chandler in action, he truly is a natural when it comes to cars, or anything mechanical for that matter. I definitely couldn't have done it without him (although he probably could have done it without me). He has a very intuitive feel for cars which I can relate to on many levels but certainly NOT with cars.

Anyway, he feels he's found his call in life and looks forward to getting better and better. Hope all is well with everyone.

8 comments:

Mom G said...

Way to go, Chandler! That is great that you were able to do that! You will be a valuable asset in the family! Thanks, Chris for writing about this. Good to hear the accomplishments of our grandchildren.

Steve and Kim said...

That's awesome, Chandler. You'll be able to help a lot of people with your skills and knowledge. Keep it up, that's good stuff you're learning.

Mark and Kellie said...

Chris - He probably could have done it in about 30 minutes without you. :-)

Way to go, Chandler! If you lived closer, I'd hire you as my full-time mechanic.

jillha said...

That is great and will come in handy many times!

Paige said...

Awesome, Chandler!! I'm such a proud aunt! Keep it up, I'm sure you'll have lots of business from family members!

marilyn said...

A mechanically minded person is certainly an assett to his family, and friends. You'll be busy helping others, for the rest of your life. Its a super talent to have! Good job! I'm very proud of you!

Luv ya,
GGma Heslop

Mom G said...

Dad says:
Nice job on the disclosing, Chris...as well as spotlighting the talent of a special young man. Perhaps in the future we can set up a bartering arrangment with Chandler, Grandma's cinnamon rolls for work on our cars?!

LJ said...

Wow, that's an awesome story! Chandler is the MAN! I bet that was a cool experience for him to teach you something and save some money at the same time. I laughed out loud when you said it was you writing and not Krissy! :) It would be the same thing if I was writing about sports and not Dustin! :) Fun to read the update. Love the new pictures of the family! The baptism one is precious and I'm so happy we could be there for you. I hope to see you guys soon! I want to plan a trip down there sometime this spring! Miss you and love you!