Friday, November 21, 2008

Update

We left at 6am on Tuesday morning and arrived in California around 11 am. We relaxed for a couple hours and then received a phone call from my dad that it was OK to come and see my grandma. When I first saw her I was shocked at how much she has changed in a couple of years. She looked so weak and small. I re introduced all the kids to her and she said each of their names and the kids leaned over so she could give them a kiss. Holden was the only one who wouldn't. He thought she was a ghost and would not go near her. I felt so bad. The day I got there was the last day that she would talk. I was rubbing her hands and that would make her fall asleep. My sister Alison was rubbing her feet and she would keep on telling us it tickled. We spent about an hour and a half with her then it was time to let her rest again.

The next day we let the kids hang out with cousins and just I went over for a bit to visit with my grandma again. I talked to her and told her of my favorite memories. When she woke up from sleeping for a minute I made the mistake of asking her if she was dreaming about grandpa who passed away a couple years sooner. She closed her mouth shut and started breathing very heavy. She was crying. I felt horrible. I called my dad over and he helped calm her down and he said she misses grandpa so much. I spent a lot of time with her and talking with my dad and lost track of time cause I was going to leave that night. But we ended up staying the night again and came home of Thursday. We got home around 3:30 yesterday.

Then I got a text message at 2:30 this morning that my grandma had just passed away. I laid in bed crying until I fell back to sleep. The funeral will be held on Tuesday. So we will be leaving Monday to go back down and coming back Wednesday so the boys can get back to their dads for the holiday weekend. I just have to say our little Sloane stayed with her great grandma for about 30 minutes rubbing her head and holding her hands. A couple of her girl cousins wouldn't touch her and Sloane said it was OK and showed them what to do and then they were not afraid to touch her. She even gave her a kiss goodbye. I cry just thinking about how tender hearted she is.

I am so glad I went down to say my goodbyes to her. I was unable to do it with my grandpa. It meant so much to me the last few moments I had to be with her. She was a great woman and great grandma and she will be missed deeply. She touched every ones lives that she came in contact with. And I am happy she is back with our heavenly father and with her wonderful husband. You will be missed.

OK I just realized that the day of her funeral is Chris' and my wedding anniversary. oh wow

9 comments:

Paige said...

I'm glad you were able to go and say goodbye. I'm sure that meant a lot to her. How wonderful that she gets to be with her husband again now!

Jennw6kids said...

Im so glad you went, its hard but oh so worth it. If you need a shoulder please dont hesitate to call, you will be in my prayers,so happy we all have eternal families!!

TisforTonya said...

I'm so glad that the trip was worth it!!! Sloane is an angel, her cousins will be glad for her encouragement for many years to come :)

Steve and Kim said...

That Sloane is a sweetie. So glad you were able to go at the right time.

Chelsi said...

I'm glad that your trip went well and you were able to see your grandma, again. Sloane is a sweetheart--what a great kid! I hope you're doing okay right now. I'm glad you know about eternal families!

Mark and Kellie said...

Wonderful that you got to see her again before she moved on. I went to my Grandpa Gibson's funeral on my birthday. It just made it all the more special.

Mom G said...

Krissy, We are so happy that you made that decision. Your grandma is very proud of you and your family. She knows how much you love her. Thanks for sharing your experience. It makes us all realize how precious our time on earth is.

gg said...

Kristelle, I am so happy you were able to see gramma D. She was always such a classy lady and I am so happy she is with her Johnny now.
Sloane is such a sweetie,I'm very proud of her.

mariann and Tory said...

Sorry to hear she passed...at least she will be with her husband again! Can you imagine the joy she is experiencing right now? Thank goodness for the plan of salvation. I bet she was really glad to see you and the kids.