Monday, June 8, 2009

Our little Trigger

Hello everyone,

Krissy is still mourning the loss of her Grandfather and understandably hasn't felt much like blogging recently. We appreciate everyone's love, support and prayers. Krissy was particularly close to her Grandfather, having lived in close proximity for nearly 20 years. We will miss his down to earth sense of humor, his kindness, his unique brand of wisdom and his family leadership. We're grateful for the witness we have that we will see him again.

Krissy will blog more when she's up to it but I did want to relate one incident on the lighter side that is typical Holden. I'm relating this based on Krissy's description to me since I wasn't there but I'll have her proofread this blog before it's posted to make sure it's accurate.

Since Grandpa Heslop served for a brief time in the Air Force shortly after World War 2, he was granted a funeral complete with military honors where he was buried in Hooper, UT. As the military reservists were preparing for their 21 gun salute, they set down their riffles for a short time while they attended to other duties. I'm sure it's clear by now where this story is headed but somehow Holden got a hold of one of the guns (which was loaded with blanks, not bullets thank goodness!) and pulled the trigger.

Needless to say, blanks are every bit as loud as real bullets. And as soon as the shot went off, Krissy knew without question who was to blame. Holden was obviously terrified so after being comforted (and scolded) by his mother, he stayed as far away from the guns as possible (at least he gets his smarts from his mother!). Apparently everyone got a kick out of this 1 gun salute and someone (I'm not sure who) gave Holden a new nickname, Trigger.

Even though Grandpa only got a 20 gun salute instead of the standard 21, we have a feeling that he probably got a laugh from Holden's antics as much as anyone else.

Hope all is well,

Chris

7 comments:

Steve and Kim said...

Oh, that is a story he'll hear for the rest of his life!! Priceless!! I'm glad no one was hurt! We hope Krissy is ok and will keep praying for her.

Mom G said...

That's our boy! Takes after his daddy. Give our little Trigger and big love from G & G G and also one to everyone else. This has been a hard time. We know that it will get better. Love to all of you!

TisforTonya said...

I about fainted when Kristelle told me this originally... yikes, glad nobody was hurt and I hope it scared Holden away from guns for at least the next 10 years :)

jillha said...

I believe it was Karl at the restaurant that said he should be called Trigger now. Scott, Michael, and Gayle, all agreed. It was very funny!

Paige said...

Wow, I'm glad they were just blanks! How funny! Yes, I agree--he'll never live that one down! Tell Krissy, we are thinking about her and love her.

Mark and Kellie said...

And I thought Kayla picking up a full and open Budweiser can when she was young was crazy. Your son takes the cake! Glad everyone is OK though!

LJ said...

Okay, this is my second attempt to comment. Karyssa turned off the computer just when I was about to post my first... :)

HILARIOUS! That doesn't surprise me one bit though... :) Leave it to Holden to shed some humor and entertainment on a solemn occasion! Ty was laughing so hard when he read this too. He asked, "Do they have a picture of it? What if he aimed it at someone?" I LOVE this story. And Chris, you are a fantastic writer- really!

Can't wait to see the little Trigger next week on our way to Las Vegas. We will be driving through St. George on Thursday afternoon. Tell Krissy I have a little gift for her that I will drop off. I hope she's okay... We miss you guys!