Sunday, August 24, 2008

Scare with Holden

Krissy suggested (my word, not hers;)) I write tonight's blog. We felt bad we weren't able to attend Ty's baptism, particularly after reading Lynn's and Paige's description. We were thankful for the wonderful pictures and commentary however and almost felt as if we had been there. Congratulations again Ty, this will be an occasion you'll always remember. I have very distinct memories of my own baptism so many years ago (almost 20 years now;)).

As the title suggests, we did have quite a scare with Holden Saturday night. Lately we've let Holden go outside by himself for a few minutes at a time. Up until last night we've felt OK about this because we live in a safe (we hope) cul-de-sac and we're very good about checking on him every few minutes. Sometimes he'll end up in our neighbors backyard, occasionally he'll even walk into their house and help himself to a snack in their fridge. But we're used to this and our neighbors get a kick out of him and usually send him home with a few new toys.

So, when I went out to look for him last night and couldn't find him right away, I wasn't immediately worried. After exhausting his usual hiding places however, I began to get really concerned. I called Krissy and Sloanie out to help me search and within a few minutes several of our neighbors joined the search.

After searching our backyard and basement really well, I had the impression I needed to get in my car and start driving around the neighborhood. Logically this would have been my next course of action anyway but I remember thinking the thought had come to me much stronger than normal. So I quickly got in my car and began to drive. Fortunately, I caught site of Holden way down on the other end of our street, probably close to a quarter of a mile away. When he saw me he tried to hide behind a tree as a joke but I could tell he was glad to see me. He insisted on driving (sitting on my lap) back to the house. On the way back, I rolled down my window and thanked all of the people who were helping us look. We felt very blessed and relieved to have found our little boy. Sloanie and Krissy took turns holding Holden for the next half hour. Needless to say, all of our doors leading outside now have childproof locks on them.

Anyway, just another testament that the Lord hears our prayers and watches over us in everything we do. Hope everyone is well.

9 comments:

Mark and Kellie said...

Yikes! We've had a couple of those scary experiences as parents (though we found them more quickly) and hate even thinking about those emotions. Glad he was OK and unharmed. Now how long until he figures out the "childproof" locks?

Mom G said...

Wow! We are thankful that you found him! It can tear out your heart when you lose something so precious! (That is why I bought that leash for you - I lost you once in a department store). Thank goodness that he was ok. Hope he was scared enough to never try that again! I have heard of so many accounts where the child thought it was a hide and seek game and about frightened the parents to death.
Give him a love from us. He is a special little guy to all of us.

Chelsi said...

So glad that you found him and he was alright! I don't think there's much that's scarier than an experience like that.

Mom G said...

Dad says:
Thank goodness you found our little grandson. Experiences such as these tend to underscore how precious they really are to you, don't they? My concern is that we may have a developing pattern of son working at going one better than his dad in the shenanigans of life. Imagine what his pre-teen and teen years might bring.

Mark and Kellie said...

Sheesh, Dad! Talk about PTSD symptoms! Thanks for that image.

:-) Just kidding, Chris!

The Gibsons said...

Good one Mark! lol!

Steve and Kim said...

Oh, I'm so glad Holden is ok! What a scary experience. I've never lost kids in the neighborhood, but I have lost track of them in stores!

Paige said...

What a scary experience. I'm glad all is well and that you found him okay. We had to put a childproof lock on our front door because Natalia walked out looking for me once when Dan was watching her(a.k.a. sleeping). Scary!

TisforTonya said...

nothing like a good scare to jump start your heart for the next 3 years! I've been missing out on your blog for a few weeks because my links all died - I've got 'em back up and running now so life is good again!