Saturday, February 28, 2009

Warning Gross Toe

Awhile back Harrison broke his big toe. He lost the nail and a new one grew back but it caused him to have an ingrown toenail. He has had this for about 2 months. Finally on Thursday morning I looked at it and it oozed out green puss. Right at 9am I called the Doc and got him in that afternoon. Well he ended up having minor surgery. They gave him 4 shots in the big toe to numb it and then from the tip of the toe all the way into the skin cut out his toe nail. They then cleaned it out real good and took out the nail bed so he wont grow anymore nail on that side. They then gave him 2 stitches. I watched the entire process and was grossed out. I helped Harrison sit up for a minute to watch but he couldn't take it and back down he went. This is what it looked like pretty gross. I wish I had my camera at the doc office to take pictures of step by step process.

He then got bandaged up and had to stay off his foot for 24 hours. He is on pain pills and an antibiotic for the infection. He goes this Thursday to get the stitches out and make sure the infection is clearing up. We have to change his bandage daily. And he is wearing my flip flops.

Today he wanted to make sure he didn't have to pass the sacrament at church tomorrow. He didn't want people looking at his foot. Poor kid. The doctor said it takes about 2 months for something like this to heal. But he is doing pretty good so far. I thought he would be in more pain than he is. Sorry if this post grossed ya out. I think it is cool.


7 comments:

The Hunts said...

LOL "he couldn't take it and back down he went." Funny stuff! Wow...ice cream...the boy need ice cream for his courage and sacramental self consciousness! I have never seen a toe sling lol before...they come up with stuff for everything. Only the mom of the source would think it's cool. I'm not overly grossed out but I do think I'll wait till later to eat though. lol

Steve and Kim said...

Yup, grossed me out!! Sorry to hear about it, Harrison! Don't worry, the girls will still think you are cute!

Paige said...

Poor Harrison. Thank goodness he had a good doctor though. I had that done a few years ago and my doctor did NOT know what she was doing. She pretty much cut my toe open without any pain meds and then it never healed. I went to a podiatrist who said that other doctor butchered my toe. He was able to fix it though. Hope Harrison gets healed up soon! It's no fun!

Mom G said...

Grandpa responds:
Let Harrison know that Grandpa commiserates! As a freshman in highschool both my big toes looked just like that with one infected on both sides. My shoes were regularly filled with blood. Surgery under general anesthesia did wonders, with both nails subsequently smaller. (Of course, anesthesia back in the dark ages was plenty of whiskey and a bop on the head?!) No problems since! Having some girls come over to give him sympathy would likely do a world of good for this young man.

Mom G said...

GRANDMA says - Harrison, so sorry! And it will start to feel much better soon. Isn't it amazing what trouble one little toe can cause!

LJ said...

Wow, I guess I should have looked more closely at the title before I saw those graphic pics! Man, that does NOT look like a fun experience. Poor Harrison! He's a tough kid to go through all that. Dustin said his ingrown toenail surgery a while back was incredibly painful- I guess there are a lot of nerves on our toes. I'm glad Harrison got it taken care of and has some pain pills to get him through... You're a great mom to get it taken care of so quickly!

Mark and Kellie said...

OK . . . the picture came up before the warning on my computer! Yech! Hope you feel better soon, Harrison!!